Garmaine Staff asked 2 years ago

Our house, built in 1951, has one room paneled in wood:



When we bought the place, the home inspector opined that this was original to the house, and not the cheap 1970s stuff. Moreover, the house is very solidly built overall. Here's what we found when we opened up the wall behind the shower:


I want to hang some bookshelves on this paneled wall, probably the standard-and-bracket type, like this. My questions:

  • How thick is that paneling likely to be?
  • Is that same double-thickness situation (which looks like plaster over drywall, or maybe two layers of plaster) likely to be under the paneling? If not, what is?
  • Am I going to need any special kind of hardware to hang shelves on wood over plaster over drywall over a stud?